Artist

Alexander Averin

Thursday 18 August 2011

Where has all the good news gone?









Where has all the good news gone?




It’s the shy but gifted child at the back of the classroom

who was cradled in compromise,

knows the truth, has all the answers

but simply cannot raise her hand.

It’s what God would bring, or the angels,

but the mouths of the media,

brought up on the bad

are too often gagged or censored.

It blows in on the wind sometimes, unbidden;

and before we have time to prepare, it will circle a room

looking for the best place to land.

It hovers; rearranging, repositioning,

raising energies, brightening auras.

refuting all that’s gone before.

Exploding, it exposes our cynicism,

despairing of our apathy,

knowing it will lead to anarchy.

Wanting to embrace you, it will instead shake you,

will move you and change you.

It’s what we should all try to seek

every damned minute.

It’s in this poem trying to speak.

You may have given up on it.

But you deserve it.

You deserve it.



Cait O’Connor



7 comments:

Marion Williams-Bennett said...

This poem moved me, it changed me.

We need more goodness in our lives, need to hear examples of kindness and caring. It's these stories that give us faith and help us to understand the reasons why we are here.

To do good.

Thank you for this goodness!

Vee said...

You say so much in so few words, Cait. Guess that's one definition of poetry...like a snapshot in that a picture is worth a thousand words. Visiting blogs often reminds me of the good news. Must be why I'm so hopelessly addicted to it. Media will twist a good thing to a negative so they're not our best hope for truth.

Hope that you are enjoying the summer in your lovely corner...

Margie’s daughter Leiny said...

Thanks for the great post Cait. I was listening to radio stations on the way to work this morning and they are harbingers of doom and gloom, I flicked around and finally found Lyric FM's, soothing classical tones that made me think I should choose to listen to what makes me feel good,be part of what makes others feel good, and your post makes me think that too.
Big hugs, Margie.

The bike shed said...

Turn off the tv, the radio, dont buy the papers - try it for a day, a week or (as I did) three years. My favourite morning news is birdsong - never fails to delight, though I suspect some of that is their version of bad news too (beware the cat, the hawk...)

Glad you are back blogging more often - and how's your library fairing in all the cuts? I hope it is not too affected.

Susan Branch said...

Love it. I want to be a good news reporter too. xo

CAMILLA said...

Wonderful post Cait, each day on the news there is much doom and gloom. I prefer to listen to bird song, beautiful music, hard sometimes especially when my husband is glued almost 24/7 to the news coverage on TV.

CAMILLA said...

Wonderful post Cait, each day on the news there is much doom and gloom. I prefer to listen to bird song, beautiful music, hard sometimes especially when my husband is glued almost 24/7 to the news coverage on TV.