Artist

Alexander Averin

Sunday 18 March 2012

The Habit of Light

Many apologies for my long absence. I'm back, operation over and have been convalescing, few more weeks of that to go yet. I won't bore you (or myself) with  the details and the more negative aspects of the whole experience.  Onward and upward now.

Sadly we had to have dear Finn, our elderly lurcher put to sleep soon after my operation which was so very sad for me. We have buried him across the river, just inside the field under a willow tree.



 

RIP Finn, you are very much missed, The most handsome boy, gentle and loving with healing powers.

Rest in peace.



Before I go here is a poem I loved at first read in the Guardian today, it is written by Gillian Clarke, the National Poet of Wales who is one of my favourite poets.

And talking of Wales -  congratulations to the Welsh rugby team who have done us proud by winning the Grand Slam, they really are the best!


Here is the poem

The Habit of Light

In the early evening, she liked to switch on the lamps
in corners, on low tables, to show off her brass,
her polished furniture, her silver and glass.
At dawn she'd draw all the curtains back for a glimpse
of the cloud-lit sea. Her oak floors flickered
in an opulence of beeswax and light.
In the kitchen, saucepans danced their lids, the kettle purred
on the Aga, supper on its breath and the buttery melt
of a pie, and beyond the swimming glass of old windows,
in the deep perspective of the garden, a blackbird singing,
she'd come through the bean rows in tottering shoes,
her pinny full of strawberries, a lettuce, bringing
the palest potatoes in a colander, her red hair bright
with her habit of colour, her habit of light.


Gillian Clarke

• From Five Fields, published by Carcanet



19 comments:

Tracy Golightly-Garcia said...

Hello Cait

I hope you are doing well and I am very sorry for your loss. Animals do have a way to heal/help their humans. Happy to know about the Welsh Rugby team.

Take Care!

Best
Tracy :)

Mac n' Janet said...

Love the poem, particularly the title! We should all have the habit of light.
i wondered if you'd gone in for you operation, hope you're feeling better soon.
Sorry about your dog, but you know he had a good life. One of our cats is buried under a tree down by the water and at times I sit out there and talk to him, remembering good times.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

What a wonderful poem. I shall copy it out. Hope things are going onward and upward for you!

ds said...

Absolutely beautiful poem, Cait. Thank you so much for sharing it ( i may copy it out, too).
So sorry to read of the loss of your Finn; wouldn't it be wonderful if they could be with us always.
Glad you are on the mend--trust all is going well, and fingers crossed that they are!

Kath said...

Sleep well dear Finn, sweet dreams xx

Fennie said...

Best wishes, dear Cait, for a full and happy recovery. So sorry about the loss of Finn. Must have been a terrible blow. But he'll still be watching over you.

Vee said...

Good to know that you are recuperating well. How sad for you to lose a beloved pet, especially one with healing powers. I hope that soon you'll think of him with smile s and no tears. That poem is lovely...I can see the sweet domesticity of it.

e said...

Dear Cait,

I'm glad the operation's done and you're on the road to recovery. Thanks for sharing the brilliant poem. As for your dear dog, I know he enjoyed his life on your patch. Perhaps there will be another wonderful canine friend who will find you.

Ruth said...

It's to see you back and recovering well, though I'm sorry you had to undergo surgery. I'm sad about your Finn, he sounds like quite a good friend. May your memories comfort you.

I love the poem, what a great title and line. Gorgeous. Thank you for the introduction to Gillian Clarke.

Bovey Belle said...

Hi Cait

Wishing you a full return to health. Sorry about the loss of Finn - he looked a very special dog.

I love that poem - not a poet I've heard of before, but I shall look out for her in future.

Aqeela said...

What a beautiful poem, very interesting and descriptive, i shall have a google of the writer for more.

I hope that you recovery continues to bring you better health, and that your dog passing away hasnt hindered it at all.

Aqeela xx

Dave King said...

Good to have you back. Hope all going well. Your very fine poem makes a strong return. Congrats.

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Glad to hear you are doing well Cait and welcome back.

This lovely poem reminds me of my childhood home with faint glimpses of my adored mother, 'her pinny full of strawberries'....

So sorry to hear of the loss of Finn. Goodnight dear boy.

Jeanne
x

Friko said...

Hope all is going according to plan and you are getting better every day.

Sorry about the dog; my Benno is old too and sooner or later his back legs will go. Then comes the time when we'll have to make a decision. Oh no, not again. I can't bear it.

I saw the poem and loved it too, right away.

Thyra said...

Hello Cait. All the best wishes for keeping the best of health. It's good to have had the operation. Then you can look forward.
I'm sorry to hear about your dear dog. It is very difficult to say goodbye to a dog or a cat, who's been a good friend for many years.
A nice week-end to you.
Grethe ´)

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Oh I am so very sad to read this, Cait. And I am sorry I'm late to the news. There's nothing harder in the world and you are in my thoughts and prayers tonight. God Bless Finn.
Take good care of yourself.
xoxo, Pamela... and Edward and Apple, too.

Carah Boden said...

Great poem but so very sorry to hear of the loss of your beautiful dog. A man's best friend. I have only recently become a dog owner and have already, as I stroke her head, fast-forwarded to the day I will stroke it for the last time, the day I will have to say goodbye. I really feel for you.

Am also so very sorry to hear you have not been well and wish you a very speedy recovery.

I have so enjoyed being back here at Dear Diary and having a mooch around your beautiful posts. Thank you.

Nan said...

I am so very sorry about Finn. I was sure I'd left a note before but I guess not. Glad you are well but sad to come home and have to make that decision. My heart is with you.

CAMILLA said...

So pleased to hear you are recovering well Cait.

So terribly sad to hear about your darling dog Finn, we love our pets soo much. I know he will have had a wonderful life with you as his caring owner, cherish the lovely memories of him.

Lovely Poem Cait.

xx