Artist

Alexander Averin

Friday 26 August 2011

Hope







Hope -  The artist is George Frederick Watts RA
1817-1904
This is Barack Obama's favourite painting and I have to say I love it very much too.




Hope




Hope lives in silence,

his face so often obscured

in low-slung shadows, esconced in sunbeams.

Such peace; like a silent order, save for birdsong

and its new day’s heartfelt repetitions.

Yesterday a white down feather lay upon a loved one’s shoulder,

while a black cat slinked, ghost-like, past French windows in our view;

(today, two magpies graze the garden).

Late, summer-scented, sudden and secret, a swift rain shower descends,

falling vertically, innocently unaware, unabashed by the sunlight

which is understated; warm but not yet bright.

Verging on unnoticed, to me it is a treasure,

unfolding a promise of persistence.

Positivity comes as its gift, unwrapping itself

in an August rainbow, just for you and me,

something you might dream of in some future winter.



Cait O’Connor

3 comments:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

So lovely.
I stood before that painting last February. Took my breath away. I didn't realize it was the President's favourite. He has good taste, doesn't he?

Frances said...

Cait, I agree that Hope is a lovely painting. Hope is always to be treasured, and welcomed.

xo

CAMILLA said...

Love the painting of Hope, Cait. I have always kept Hope in my minds eye.