Artist

Alexander Averin

Sunday 11 December 2011

Winter Words




Winter Words

A line of naked oaks looms tall upon the hill;
guardian angels standing firm, astride the line of sky,
a shield from fear perhaps or maybe simply dread.
What lies beyond?  A deadened, hardened earth
 a solemn chill, so cruelly unforgiving.
What lies beneath?  No hope of birth or any form of
life among the depths and woes of winter
which only brings a universal heartfelt need for rest.
But all the while some words I hear are racing through my head,
a kind of waking through an optimistic  prayer, a  solace to my soul.
Do words of hope have such a life and such a strength of voice
whether dancing through  my dreams or simply written through my heart?

While I step through sheeptracks, moss and river stones
 muffled, wrapped up well, towards my home below the hill,
 I stride more surely through the cold and sodden turf.
The winter words still speak through me of hope;
 I trust they will not fade,
as newly heard each day,  they make  me strong
and keep me singing wildly through the snow.

Cait O’Connor

6 comments:

Tracy Golightly-Garcia said...

Hello Cait

These lovely "Winter Words" has left me thinking and has given me some peace while dealing with sickness in my family.

Your blog is a very special place for me to visit.

Thank you for sharing.

Have a great day and week!

Best
Tracy :)

Kath said...

what a lovely photo.

Frances said...

Cait, how I look forward to your posts, particularly when they include your poetry.

Winter is a season that energizes me, and I always about other animals' urge for hibernation during these chilly darker days.

xo

George said...

Quite beautiful, Cait, and, yes, there is always life quickening beneath the cold surface of winter. To keep singing in the snow may be the art of life, so by all means, keep singing. We are listening.

Dave King said...

I am bowled over: by the image, by the poem and by your fortitude. Impressive, all three.

Catherine said...

Beautiful and what a wonderful photograph to go with those words. I love that you share all this with me, thank you:~)