Artist

Alexander Averin

Saturday 24 December 2011

Happy Christmas to Everyone

A poem - A song for Christmas. My favourite carol too.

In the bleak midwinter



In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter, long ago.

Our God, Heaven cannot hold Him, nor earth sustain;
Heaven and earth shall flee away when He comes to reign.
In the bleak midwinter a stable place sufficed
The Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ.

Enough for Him, whom cherubim, worship night and day,
Breastful of milk, and a mangerful of hay;
Enough for Him, whom angels fall before,
The ox and ass and camel which adore.

Angels and archangels may have gathered there,
Cherubim and seraphim thronged the air;
But His mother only, in her maiden bliss,
Worshipped the beloved with a kiss.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
Yet what I can I give Him: give my heart.


Christina Rossetti


9 comments:

Vee said...

It is one of my favorites and I listen to S.M. sing it often...nightly for several years now. LOL! Yes, we fall asleep to carols each night of the year. I really like the Gloucester Cathedral Choir's version, too, also at You Tube.

And I really like The Snowman, too.

And I really want to wish you a Merry Christmas as well!

Marion Williams-Bennett said...

The absolutely most beautiful song of Christmas,song of hope. Thank you so much for sharing this beauty.

Happy, Happy Christmas to you, Cait! All the best to you in the new year!

Mac n' Janet said...

Merry Christmas Cait, thank you for the poem and song, we'll be watching the Snowman tonight a family tradition.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

My husband sang that in concert a couple of weeks ago. One of my very favourites.

Wishing you a most Happy Christmas!

Margie’s daughter Leiny said...

Merry Christmas Cait, Hugs Margie.

The bike shed said...

Merry Christmas Cait.

Thanks for commenting and following this year. For first time in years I am not in wales - I'll be back for new Year through.

M

Kath said...

Have a Cool Yule, hope 2012 brings all good things x

Tracy Golightly-Garcia said...

Hello Cait

Love the song! I do hope you had a great Christmas and I wish you much joy for 2012.

Best
Tracy :)

CAMILLA said...

Beautiful song Cait, do hope you had a lovely peaceful Christmas.

xx