Artist

Alexander Averin

Sunday 18 May 2014

New York, 1922






New York 1922



It was the noon hour, the time for protection.
I was wearing my favourite apricot 
cloche hat, everything seemed just perfect; 
it was all about the light.  The light and 
the moment the light shone upon were both
golden, so all about me was glamour,
jewel-like, atmospheric, their colours 
matching my Parisien hat and my mood. 
I did not know that my image was being 
captured; I would  have protested but to 
be painted thus did thrill and move me in 
an equal measure. On that day in New
York in 1922, when he and
I took tea together, we became as
one, isolated in our togetherness.
The crowd receded and time paused for me,
so that in its stillness I could no longer
fear my past or worry for my future.
I knew somehow, from that  golden day on,
there was only ever going to be the now.



Cait O’Connor


This week's Magpie Tale.  See more here.

The fine painting is by Edward Hopper.


21 comments:

brudberg said...

I like that Point of View... and to be captured in a painting.. how good to have that hat.. there is a very nice nostalgia in your words

Jinksy said...

Here's to the everlasting 'now'. :-)

Charleen said...

Was she afraid of having her image captured because their meeting was illicit? Mystery!

Frances said...

Ahh, and how did the artist discern those thoughts and sensations of the lady in the cloche hat. Perhaps through luck, perhaps the artist was oblivious to anything but the composition of the scene, the light, the beauty of the hat?

Cait, your poem is a good one, and has got my own mind wandering. xo

Truedessa said...

Caught in the moment through the hands of time..interesting take on the prompt.

kaykuala said...

How nice to think around great memories. Beautiful write Cait!

Hank

Mac n' Janet said...

Nicely done.

Tess Kincaid said...

You captured that golden moment just perfectly...

Stacy M.S. said...

this is such a beautiful, atmospheric piece...almost as if i were gazing upon the subject with my own camera!

lovely!

stacy lynn mar
http://warningthestars.blogspot.com/

Leovi said...

A wonderful poem! So I see it too!

Silent Otto said...

Thusly is The Chymical Wedding effected .... Excellent news

Arathi Harihar said...

You have captured the moment perfectly:))

rel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rel said...

Revel in the moment, for that's all any of us really has.

Ostensible Truth said...

how well you've captured that moment and given a new slant to the picture, a painting of incursion into that isolated togetherness, and yet a thrill of sharing it. It also has a great flow throughout, and "it was all about the light" is a great line. nice!

Belva Rae Staples said...

I like on take on the prompt, especially her decision to ever after live in the now.

Anonymous said...

Enchanted by the light. Well done.

Helena said...

It is exquisite, Cait, really is!

Friko said...

A delightful interpretation of the scene.
It almost makes me want to be there.

Rhissanna said...

Wow. How well this encapsulates the division feeling between awareness of the moment and that moment captured forever, like bees in amber. Very nice. And thank you for your kind comment on my writing blog.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful POV. :-)