Artist

Alexander Averin

Friday 27 April 2007

Wednesday Mar 14 2007 12:50:29
By Cait
Dear Diary, Topsy turvy temperatures. After a weekend which felt like Spring I wake to fog and frost but there is a promise from Radio 4’s Today programme of sunshine to come. But now even the birds and Sammy Squirrel seem to be having a lie in as there are only a few blue tits and a robin to be seen on the riverbank bird table. It is cold in the cottage and as I have no work to go to today, it will take a hot shower, a big bowl of hot porridge and a hot yoga session to lure me from my cosy nest under the duvet. * I read a lovely blog by dear Woozle the other day about her magical encounter with an owl. It reminded me of a similar experience here at Glandulas, but this one involved a hedgehog. Before I tell you about the Hedgehog Experience I want to reveal another of my passions. It is connected you understand. If you have read all my blogs so far you will have gathered that I am prone to get passionate about things. One of them is recycling and especially all things compost; the saving, the making of the heap and the using of the wonderful end result which makes my plants grow very large. I think the whole process is magical and I am quite obsessive about it. I don’t let a scrap go to waste if you get me. Everything which can possibly be recycled is. I have been doing this long before it became ‘fashionable’. But I am pleased it is becoming a regular activity in lots more households now. Our local council has been very good in the recycling department, selling bins and educating people etc. as well as providing bags for plastic, metal and paper which are collected on a weekly basis. I have a stainless steel pedal bin in the kitchen for all the general compost stuff and my glass I take to the recycling centre (an alarming number of wine and Guinness bottles!). Textiles go to the textile bank. Dog and cat hair, M’s hair, beard trimmings or anything similar are put out in a prominent position in the garden and are collected by the birds at this time of year for nest building. I like to think of them all safe and cosy in a really snug home. Absolutely any paper or cardboard I put on the compost heap, it soon dampens in our Welsh rain and rots down. Newspaper is good too for lighting fires in the cottage, another passion of mine, I must have gypsy blood because I never fail to get one going. I also use kindling wood which is usually the driftwood I collect on our land, washed up by the river. What I call kindling wood the Welsh call morning wood, both nice expressions I think. I haven’t recommended a book to you for a while so here is one. It is ‘All About Compost’ by Pauline Pears, you could try and get it from your local library. Talking of books I recently gave you the wrong title of Fred Slater’s book on the natural history of Mid-Wales. It is called ‘The Nature of Central Wales’. Apologies for that. Anyway if you have read this far congratulations and thank you. You are about half way. You are probably wondering where the hedgehog comes in. Here comes my true story. One morning I was taking out the compost bucket, wearing my dressing gown and wellies, as you do. (My neighbour in the Big House is always in the garden in his dressing gown. They are equally eccentric I am pleased to say and as they feel just like family to us it doesn’t matter if they see me thus attired!). Anyway, just as I was about to tip the bucket onto the top of the heap I looked down and got the fright of my life. There was this creature lying there flat on its back, arms and legs akimbo but with an expression which was peaceful,; sheer abandonment is how I would describe it. Or died and gone to heaven. I recognised it as a hedgehog and when I had calmed down a bit but soon. and quite unlike me, had adopted the ‘startled helpless female’ mode I ran in to get M. I told him there was a dead hedgehog on the compost heap, (well I thought it was dead but I wasn’t sure). He came out with a towel while I hung back. He picked it up, wrapped it in the towel and found a cardboard box. He thought it was dead but wasn’t sure either. He took it over the road to the old blacksmith’s forge and put it in one of the rooms facing the road. Then he got an old dog bowl and put some food in it and then another bowl with some water and he left both beside the box. The hedgehog’s eyes were closed. We guessed it was dead. But then the penny dropped, the hedgehog had been feasting on the highly alcoholic leftovers from the fermentation of M’s home-made rice and raisin wine, one of his strongest brews, which he had flung on the compost heap! Had we killed him? Would he survive? Two days passed, we checked on him every day, each time there were no signs of life but on the third day he had disappeared. He must have slept it off! The one and only hangover of his life I hope. He was last seen making his way up the road leaving a trail of aspirin bottles behind him and singing ‘There’s an old Mill by the Stream’ No I am only joking… It is interesting to note that the very old fashioned method of poaching pheasants still used today (?) is to feed wild pheasants with raisins soaked in brandy which makes them so inebriated that hours later, after dark, they are easily ‘collected’. Help, I feel a book title coming on……..I am sure you all know it…. Danny, the Champion of the World, by the dear Roald Dahl of course, God rest him. We dread to think how many drunken birds or other creatures there were that day. Just hope it was a good party. Blessings? Eight today. Hedgehogs. Compost. Home made wine. Washing machines - mine is working away for me as I write. Local honey made by a neighbour. Lovely neighbour, lovely honey. Warmer weather. Roald Dahl’s books, enjoyed by me with my children and now by my grandchildren. I promised to tell you about the Book Club so I may post another blog later in the day to make up for the days I have missed previously. Time to get up now. Carpe diem and all that. Before I do I can’t leave you without the poem by one of my very favourite poets. Benjamin Zephaniah, Luv Song I am in luv wid a hedgehog I've never felt this way before I have luv fe dis hedgehog An everyday I luv her more an more, She lives by de shed Where weeds and roses bed An I just want de world to know She makes me glow. I am in luv wid a hedgehog She's making me hair stand on edge, So in luv wid dis hedgehog An her friends Who all live in de hedge She visits me late An eats off Danny's plate But Danny's a cool tabby cat He leaves it at dat. I am in luv wid a hedgehog, She's gone away so I must wait But I do miss my hedgehog Everytime she goes to hibernate.  Bye for now, Caitx
Recent Comments
Dear Diary (Country Matters)
Lovely, as ever Cait! Love the term 'morning wood'. Think I will use it from now on. x
Posted by pipany
March 14, 2007 01:06 PM
Dear Diary (Country Matters)
I must have a go at making compost, have just bought some from the local shop...I feed my peelings to the horses, but still must be able to make the stuff.
Posted by Posie Rosie
March 14, 2007 02:45 PM
Dear Diary (Country Matters)
I have been able to catch up with your blog tonight because my husband is going to be late and the children are all tucked up in their own beds. I love the way you write and so like to read your blog in peace and quiet. I laughed to think of the drunk hedgehog and I loved reading Dahl not as a child I didn't know him but when I was teaching and now to my own children. We love Georges Marvellous Medicine and have read it loads of times. The eczema has been hard until you experience it you don't realise how hard it is, thankyou. I will be back at another quiet time.
Posted by Anna Karenin
March 14, 2007 08:55 PM
Dear Diary (Country Matters)
Cairt, I Loved* the story of the tipsy hedgehog. Made me laugh outloud. thanks for it. Eden.
Posted by EdenEising
March 14, 2007 08:59 PM
Show all

Dear Diary (Country Matters)
Tuesday Mar 13 2007 13:38:09
By Cait
Dear Diary, Just a quickie. I am sorry that I forgot to post my blessings yesterday. That is the problem with everyday life, it is so easy to forget to count our blessings. Another cliche but a true one. Here they are, five as usual. A proper full length blog will come much later in the day. I have to go to work soon. (Work is the curse of the drinking classes). Blessings. Our book group which met last night (more on that another time). Blogs, (I especially enjoyed the Famous Five one last night). Rainbows on the cottage wall reflected by the crystals hanging in my window. The promise of bluebells. Dreams and memories. Bye for now, will write soon, Happy Days to you all, Cait.
Recent Comments
Dear Diary (Country Matters)
Bless you too Cait... beautiful bluebells... warm wishes
Posted by ChickenLicken
March 13, 2007 02:05 PM
Dear Diary (Country Matters)
Bluebells! One of my (many faves). Davey gave me a hundred bulbs to plant in readiness for little Isabella who was born in May last year. I so love your blogs, Cait x
Posted by pipany
March 13, 2007 02:11 PM
Dear Diary (Country Matters)
Your photos are so beautiful, loved the blessings, thank you for sharing them.
Posted by Posie Rosie
March 13, 2007 02:33 PM
Dear Diary (Country Matters)
Yes, it is good to count our blessings, I liked yours! I'm looking forward to the bluebells too, we have them in vaste numbers in the wood behind us, beautiful. Thanks for your email address, i will keep it safe and write to you direct if I may sometimes , I'm feeling Ok and have so many wonderful people giving support, but it is overwhelming at times. God Bless you.
Posted by inthemud
March 13, 2007 03:07 PM
Show all


Dear Diary (Country Matters)
Monday Mar 12 2007 13:13:31
By Cait
Dear Diary, Sunday is here again, I have missed you; long time no see. I open the window and listen to the birdsong, it always varies yet it is always miraculous. (Which reminds me, a couple of borrowers said they thought they saw a snow bunting on the river bridge in Llanwrtyd and I mean to look it up in my wonderful Readers Digest bird book). And I have a question. Are the birds in your locality feeding any young? The robins and some blue tits in my garden seem to be flying off with food in their beaks, seemingly going off to feed their babies. It seems awfully early in the year to do this. I think the sun is going to emerge from the clouds and hunger beckons so I get out of bed and my Sunday ritual begins. No yoga, porridge or vitamin pill palava for me today. It is bacon, egg and tomato and maybe even fried bread as well with lashings of hot tea and the Archers for company. Then a few unavoidable indoor chores will be done alongside Desert Island Discs, (Andy Kershaw today). Our neighbours are away so M is caring for their ducks and chicken. We kept chicken for many years so he has plenty of experience. M is retired and gets called upon by a few of the neighbours who count on his services to look after stock etc when they go away. I call him the ‘Poultry Man of Glandulas’. I didn’t get around to writing yesterday (Saturday). Work in the morning, the library was very busy…… and then there were the two rugby matches to watch in the afternoon. Bottles of Guinness lined up. My team (Ireland) won but it was very close, either team could have been victors really. As the commentator said, Ireland won, but any joy at their success was like ‘drinking flat champagne.’ Wales didn’t impress either and lost (just) thanks to a lousy referee, so all in all not the greatest of celebratory afternoons. I feel like being lazy but the weather looks like being clement and I may be able to get out in the garden. I still haven’t tidied up after the ravages of winter let alone cleared the greenhouse, made the raised beds, started sowing etc. I have borrowed a selection of books from the library on growing fruit and veg. In containers of all shapes and sizes, that appeals to me. Has anyone any experience of that? M, always up before me, has filled the bird nut holders and the table is full of the usual different species. I didn’t get around to writing anything on Saturday night as I was too busy reading other people‘s writing. It’s been said before I know but the blogs are so addictive and I too love dipping in and out of people’s lives. We have a lovely little community going here. Living in the country as we do we do enjoy being part of a real-life community but now thanks to Country Living we have a virtual one as well. The magazine has helped to bring like-minded people together (and tested our patience at the speed of the site at the same time!). I can’t wait for the April issue of the magazine by the way. I have spent (wasted?) a lot of time in Blogland lately catching up on all the entries. I am trying not to miss any real gems but the site is so slow; it is driving me round the bend. As someone put it (Del?) you can go and make a cup of tea and come back in the time it takes for a page to come up. I guess it is because it is so busy? I don’t know as I am not an expert on servers or site management. But I know a young man who is. One of my borrowers at the library, a young teenager who is a whiz at these things. He is always my first port of call if I have a computer question. He is he oldest of six children from a lovely family who, like me, are incomers from West Sussex, or as the locals say ’from ’Off’. I was impressed when on the very day they moved in to Llanwrtyd all the children came to join the library in the evening. Fellow bibliophiles, they had their priorities right as far as I am concerned. I will call this young man John (isn’t it hard thinking up pseudonyms, you want them to suit the person but they never do, do they?). John and another borrower who I shall call Ruth and myself applied for a heritage lottery grant recently and were successful. We have set up a local history website ‘Hanes Llanwrtyd’. There’s a plug. I will tell you more about that at another time. Talking of Llanwrtyd I mentioned it earlier but the Llanwrtyd Gourmet Food & Drink Festival is being held on the Easter Weekend 7th and 8th April. If you are a foodie you will enjoy the showcase of the best local Welsh foods. Or if you have never been to Llanwrtyd Wells you will also enjoy; put the date in your diary. Entry is FREE. The Heart of Wales railway are putting on special trains. * I’ve long thought of writing a book or keeping a journal purely about my days in the library. I could write about the many varying characters who are my borrowers and how I have come to love them all, there’s not one I dislike. I am pleased to be able to help them in whatever way I can. The library’s link to the primary school is such a joy for me and an asset to the children and the community as well. We also get lots of visitors from all over the UK and abroad as Llanwrtyd is a popular tourist destination. Saturdays in the library are always special, there seems to be an even more relaxed atmosphere. As well as visitors you get your regular members who come every Saturday, they combine it with their shopping in town. You also get teenagers, parents with children, children without parents, old folk, middle-aged (lots of those) and some lonely people who enjoy meeting others as well as borrowing reading matter. I am pleased to see that new borrowers are joining all the time and issue numbers continue to go up. People from differing backgrounds get thrown together and it is interesting to watch them as they do actually find common ground. As book recommendations are exchanged the ice is broken. Laughter and goodwill are always in the air. Political discussions seem to always take place on a Saturday. I don’t know why it is but it always seems to be the ‘Let’s Put The World To Rights Day’. The computers are always well-used too by people of all ages. Any librarian will tell you that nowadays libraries are not just about borrowing books. Inevitably one gets drawn in emotionally too as one shares with the trauma in other people’s lives. I was a nurse in a past life and I must say that experience has come in handy on many an occasion when I have had to fight back the tears on hearing others’ bad news. But this is what a small rural community’s life is all about, caring for each other and feeling each other’s pain as well as their joy. I don’t belong to any religion but I always remember the lines from one of my favourite poets, William Blake. On Another's Sorrow Can I see another's woe, And not be in sorrow too? Can I see another's grief, And not seek for kind relief? Can I see a falling tear, And not feel my sorrow's share? Can a father see his child Weep, nor be with sorrow filled? Can a mother sit and hear An infant groan, an infant fear? No, no! never can it be! Never, never can it be! And can He who smiles on all Hear the wren with sorrows small, Hear the small bird's grief and care, Hear the woes that infants bear -- And not sit beside the next, Pouring pity in their breast, And not sit the cradle near, Weeping tear on infant's tear? And not sit both night and day, Wiping all our tears away? Oh no! never can it be! Never, never can it be! He doth give his joy to all: He becomes an infant small, He becomes a man of woe, He doth feel the sorrow too. Think not thou canst sigh a sigh, And thy Maker is not by: Think not thou canst weep a tear, And thy Maker is not year. Oh He gives to us his joy, That our grief He may destroy: Till our grief is fled an gone He doth sit by us and moan. William Blake That feeling of community is developing within these blogs and, forget any competitive element; for that aspect alone they have been a success. Well that is enough about sad things. Maybe later we will go and visit our daughter and family and see some joyous new young life (as well as the latest newborn lambs!). The family will be exhausted but I am sure they will appreciate al little break for a cuppa and a wee exchange of gossip. And there will be one or two comments on the Welsh rugby result I am sure from my son in law, who is an expert and an ex-player himself. And some comments on the referee! Bye for now, Caitx
Recent Comments
Dear Diary (Country Matters)
Very poignant Cait. Glad I managed to find yours in all the blogland ether soup.xx
Posted by woozle1967
March 12, 2007 02:35 PM
Show all

DEAR DIARY, COUNTRY MATTERS
Friday Mar :24:48
By Cait
Dear Diary, Sorry it’s another extended one as I missed writing to you yesterday. I had a long and very busy day at work. Today is a day off and a day just to myself. Michael is going up to North Wales with our son-in-law to deliver some willows. Our daughter Verity will be in charge of the lambing shed. I am feeling tired as usual, mornings are not my favourite time of day and I am always reluctant to get out of bed. I am a night owl. Every morning Michael brings me a huge mug of tea and I drink it while looking out of the bedroom window. Today there is only Sammy Squirrel on the bird nuts and for a short while no other bird or creature in sight which is most unusual. But Molly my cat is here as usual, snuggling up to tell me it’s her breakfast time. Speaking of wildlife I wrote about local author Dr Fred Slater in an earlier blog but neglected to mention his book which I can recommend to anyone interested in the wildlife of this area. It is called ‘The Natural History of Mid-Wales’. I will try and recommend a book to you in each blog, (can’t help it I am a bibliophile and also a librarian!). A food shopping trip is unavoidable today. The fridge and freezer are both well nigh empty. Where I live we have no big superstores but we have a choice of a few small market towns to visit, some of which have average sized supermarkets. Today I feel it is a toss up between Brecon and Llandovery. I can’t complain; both routes to these town will take me through spectacular scenery, over mountains and through mountain passes. To reach Brecon I travel over the Epynt range, now MOD owned as it was compulsorily purchased from local farmers many years ago. Very sad. But the road is still beautiful, the views are amazing and sheep still graze despite the presence of the army. If I go to Llandovery I travel over the Sugar Loaf on a busier but just as beautiful road which lies close to the gem of a railway, the Heart of Wales line. I say the road is busier, but, sparsely populated as it is, Powys roads are never busy. I believe we only have one or two sets of traffic lights in the whole county though that may be just a rural myth. It certainly seems like it. It is quite common to go on a journey and not see another car, especially late at night, in the early hours of the morning or out of the tourist season. I drove my son to Hereford recently in the very early hours of the morning and we didn’t see another vehicle until we reached Hereford (a journey of over fifty miles!). There is no time for procrastination. I have to get up and start another day. More tea and porridge. Johnny Walker on the radio. All is right with the world. (I wish). Tea and porridge, two of my must-haves. Let’s start another list. We already have ‘blessings’ and ‘stop-doings‘, why don’t we have ‘must-haves’? I would love to hear yours. They could be attainable or wildly unattainable, like dreams. Help, I feel a cliché moment coming on - you’ve got to have a dream, if you don’t have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true? Apologies for that, I am getting carried away again……… * I am back from my shopping trip. I couldn’t decide between Brecon and Llandovery so I tossed a coin. (I feel sure by reading my blogs you have picked up that I am pretty eccentric eh?) Well Llandovery won the toss. The sun shone and only occasionally did the hail or rain clouds come sweeping across. But it brought fantastic rainbows! Llandovery was busy with people as it was a Friday but I just made a quick foray into Somerfields, spent a small fortune and came back home. Sounds easy if you say it quick. I vow the food will last us a month but it never does. I always come home feeling really pleased to be able to fill the fridge and the freezer, thinking we will have plenty to keep us going for days on end but it seems to disappear like lightning. But there are two grown men in the house. I wish I could shop like they do in France. I love their freash and colourful food markets. WHY can’t we have the same? The French take food so very seriously and will not tolerate rubbish. I hate relying on supermarkets and would prefer to buy local, fresh and organic produce. Their way of life appeals to me as well. Michael, who has French blood, would love to live in the south of France but it would be far too hot for me. I would wilt in the heat although their way of life appeals to me as does their cheap wine! I live with my husband and our son but, strange as it is, I am the only football and rugby fan in the house. I have stocked up with beer as it is rugby tomorrow afternoon, something to look forward to after a hard morning’s work in the library. My team (Ireland) are playing Scotland at Murrayfield but of course I shall also be supporting Wales against Italy though I don’t think they (Wales) have a hope in hell. * Before I go here’s today’s poem. (Author unknown), This one’s for Elaine.  God's Rainbow " The falling rain dissolves into mist And the thunder begins to die As the sporadic lightning fades An arch of colour pours from the sky. Rainbows appear after mighty storms When things look their worst Just when the sky is darkest grey, Out of Heaven does a rainbow burst. God first sent the rainbow to Noah As a sign that His word is true The rainbow's eternal message Still speaks to me and you. The rainbow is a sign of God's promise That He will guide us through any storm That He will ease all our troubles, No matter what their form. When you feel battered by life's storms And you are filled with doubt and dismay Just remember God's rainbow is coming, For blessing, you have only to pray." Blessings today. Rainbows. Traffic free roads. A full larder (I don’t actually have a larder but you get the gist). An overdraft. The welcome home at the door from my two dogs and one cat. My son who is at home unpacks all the shopping and helps me put it away. Last but not least I had a special treat: Time alone in the car to sing and to dream. ‘If you don’t have a dream‘……. Bye for now, Caitx
Recent Comments
DEAR DIARY, COUNTRY MATTERS
Hi cait. Good choice, Llandovery. I went to school there. Where do you live in relation to it? My parents live in LLangadog and for them shopping is a toss-up between Llandovery, Llandeilo or a bit further to Carmarthen. Jules
Posted by julieeirios
March 09, 2007 09:42 PM
DEAR DIARY, COUNTRY MATTERS
Great blog and wonderful poem. Thanks for sharing it.x
Posted by woozle1967
March 09, 2007 09:50 PM
DEAR DIARY, COUNTRY MATTERS
I think it is pot luck when it comes to finding good blogs.I am glad I have now found yours they are unique.
Posted by Anna Karenin
March 10, 2007 11:03 PM
DEAR DIARY, COUNTRY MATTERS
Couldn't agree more with the above comments! Love the rainbow pic too.
Posted by Truthhurts
March 12, 2007 09:50 AM


No comments: