Artist

Alexander Averin

Saturday 2 November 2013

Storytelling






The New Novel
Winslow Homer 1877




Storytelling


She always was a different kind of child
who thought and schemed and dreamed her days away
while telling secret stories in her head,
always despised dull colouring books;
refused to stay between restricting  lines.
Never was a matching-shoes
-and- handbag kind of girl, or felt the need
 to be a bride, dressed head-to- toe in white,
passed across from one man to another.
She won’t do fashion, can’t abide the hype;
hates wasting words with others in small talk,
would never tow a line, act like a sheep,
and really needs to spend some days alone.
Last night she found her soulmate with her in
a dream and took him with her on a walk,
they recognised each other’s hearts and held each other’s  hands.  
A dream so joyful just because it felt so right,
she knew she dreamed him, did he also dream her there?

 

Cait O’Connor

 

11 comments:

Rian said...

Really like this! Fits some of us...

Teresa Evangeline said...

Love this ...

Mac n' Janet said...

Great poem, love the lady in the poem, more should be like her.

The bike shed said...

I was in Edinburgh for part of this week and was delighted to see a 'museum of storytelling' - you would have liked it too I expect.

Love the new picture at top-o'-the-blog!

DJan said...

Rian pointed me over to you, Cait, and that poem? Oh my, now I'm following yet ANOTHER blog. I'm so glad to meet you. :-)

Glenda Beall said...

Found your blog on Djan's blog and I love this poem. I am also a poet. The painting at the top of the page takes me away. I'll be back.

Sally Wessely said...

I loved this poem! It reminded me so much of my daughter. She is no longer living, but this was her. It was so her. Thank you for writing this and sharing it.

I found you by reading DJan's blog. I love the painting at the top of you blog. Just love it.

Friko said...

I think I would like her if I were allowed to meet her.

Lorely Forrester said...

I love your poem Cait, it really resonates. It sounds odd to say 'that's what I'm like', but it's true to a large degree.
I too have been enjoying the painting on your blog, and Winslow Homer is totally wonderful.

Susan Moorhead said...

Lovely and dreamy.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading...