Artist

Alexander Averin

Friday 4 June 2010

The Moor

I just had to share this lovely poem with you as well as post my 'U' song.  I hope you enjoy both.

Next it is 'V's turn..... may this be a problem I wonder?

First the poem by a fine Welsh poet.


The Moor

 
It was like a church to me.
I entered it on soft foot,
Breath held like a cap in the hand.
It was quiet.
What God was there made himself felt,
Not listened to, in clean colours
That brought a moistening of the eye,
In movement of the wind over grass.

There were no prayers said. But stillness
Of the heart's passions -- that was praise
Enough; and the mind's cession
Of its kingdom. I walked on,
Simple and poor, while the air crumbled
And broke on me generously as bread.


R S Thomas 1913-2000
 


And now for something completely different.



6 comments:

TIGGYWINKLE said...

Found this lovely litle poem very comforting at this stressful time. Haven't heard that song for yonks.Good luck with coming up with ones for v,x and z.

DJ Kirkby said...

Oh Cait, the poem is gorgeous.

Mac n' Janet said...

Great poem, felt that way the first time we went to Dartmoor.

For V may I suggest Ventura Highway by America or Viva Las Vegas by Elvis

Pondside said...

I'll bet we're all thinking "I've been there". The poem put into words what I feel every time I come to an open, sunny space in the forest or to the top of a hill. Timeless words.

Molly said...

The poem says everything, Cait - I love the song too.

CAMILLA said...

What a really lovely Poem Cait, by R.S. Thomas, wonderful song too.

Is there a poetry book revised on Thomas I wonder Cait? will check out on my library website.

xx