Artist

Alexander Averin

Friday 9 January 2009

Time for Change



Dear Diary,

'You must be the change you wish to see in the world'

Mahatma Gandhi


I had another bath this morning…I felt the need for more lavender and tea tree oils to start the day and as I soaked I listened to Radio 4 (I cannot live without Radio 4).

I have been listening to Book of the Week all this week which is:

And Did Those Feet: Walking Through 2000 Years of British and Irish History

By Charlie Connelly.





It has been a very interesting ’listen’ and his original style of writing really brings history, a subject that can be portrayed in a rather dull fashion, to life and no more so than this morning which was the Irish part of his journey where he writes about the Doolough famine walk in County Mayo. He retold the horrific truth of what happened to these starving folk in the west of Ireland. If you can possibly spare the time do Listen Again online. It's only just under 15 minutes long.


After a late breakfast I had a nice chat on the phone with my daughter and then spent a pleasant morning in the sunshine (!) and even managed to do a few jobs in the garden. Later the dogs had a good long run in the field while I took a few snaps.


Finn







Kitty






The caravan that lives by the river; somewhere to escape to and good for sleepovers.







A couple of views from the field (spot the magic crab apple tree).







Tonight, coincidentally, I watched the final part of the story of the Diary of Anne Frank which has been serialised on BBC1. And following on, straight afterwards, I watched an excellent two hour documentary on BBC4, narrated by Kenneth Branagh, about Anne’s (short) life. I could not stop watching this even though it could not have been more horrific. While watching both these programmes I was reminded of the words that Charlie Connolly had quoted in relation to the treatment of the Irish and which I heard as my day begun, while relaxing in my bath.


It has always been a mystery to me how men can feel themselves honoured by the humiliation of their fellow beings.

Mahatma Gandhi



It surely is a time for a change, why doesn't Man ever learn from history?



Bye for now,
Peace be with you,
Cait

19 comments:

Kitty said...

I missed Ann Frank, and I can't get iPlayer to play on this laptop, but I'm hoping to maybe see it on DVD one day - would be good for my son to watch.
Your picture below of Sammy Squirrel has given me and 'Aha!' moment - I had a chap on the phone at work wanting a replacement bowl for exactly that feeder - his wife taps the ice out of the little perspex bowl and has smashed it. I couldn't picture the set-up of the feeder - but it's surely that one!

DJ Kirkby said...

Ah Cait, what beautiful photos! Thank you for making me smile. I wish we lived somewhere as magical.

Lane Mathias said...

I sat memorized by the BBC4 documentary too, as did my daughter. There are no words.

Beautiful, beautiful photos. What a place you live in:-)

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

That book sounds very interesting - managed to somehow miss it on the radio, so thanks for that reminder. Yes, Gandhi was a wise man indeed.

Elizabeth said...

So many people wanting peace
and so many others clamoring for blood.
How very difficult is.
I think the main dangers are religious fundamentalists
(ALL religions) and politicians.
See Beedrunken's post about movies.
Happy New Year anyway

Chris Stovell said...

Lovely photos - and I have ordered my copy of 'The Oystercatchers' after you recommendation.

DAB said...

Lovely photos and words Cait.

Made me think of the words I read in a Jewish Museum whilst in Poland by Martin Niemoeller, for which I quote:-

They came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;

And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;

And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;

And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."

TFx

Frances said...

You have said it so well, Cait.

New year, new hope, new opportunities. We have had these before. Maybe this time?

xo

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I adore Radio 4 and often listen to Book of the Week on my computer whilst working at my desk. It makes the hours much more pleasant.

You, Finn and Kitty had a lovely day in which to take your walk!!

Pipany said...

I missed Anne frank and the Brannagh programme, but will see if I can find it on iplayer.
Beautiful pictures Cait and I couldn't live without Radio 4 either xx

Norma Murray said...

Very atmospheric photos Cait. I missed most of the book this week, would you like it on the list for the Purple Coo Spring Read?

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

I simply could not watch Anne Frank - just a few minutes made my heart bleed and I could not bear to watch the misery that was her life anymore.

It has always been a mystery to me how men can feel themselves honoured by the humiliation of their fellow beings. Yes food for thought indeed.

Love the pictures - thank you

Pondside said...

Once again, Cait, you've introduced me to something I'd have otherwise missed. I listened to the clip from the book - thank you. How I wish that there was something like that over here. I hope you'll give us a link the next time you hear something like this.
I've got Eve Green and The Oyster Catchers - half way through Eve Green now!

Nan said...

What wonderful pictures of the beauty where you live. I think people don't know enough about how the British treated the Irish. We have an Irish friend, and there's no bitterness greater than that which he feels toward the English. Think of them being neutral in the war! Think of someone thinking perhaps that the English were equal to Hitler's fellows. That gives us just an inkling of the pain and anger the Irish feel. Who knows if the young ones now feel it? And maybe better if they don't. One can hold on too long to hatreds of the past.

Layanee said...

It sounds as though you live in an idyllic place and the pictures bear witness. Those words at the end or your blog are words to live by. Peace to you.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Lovely photos (so like here!) and words as usual. I particularly like the Ghandi quote.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Picures.

Tess Kincaid said...

I emailed your interview questions, Cait! :)

CAMILLA said...

Dear Cait,

What lovely pictures you have posted for us, is that your Cottage in the first one?

I did know Ann Frank was televised, I'm afraid I could not watch it, me of the very sensitive one. I read the book years ago, such a very sad story, so upsetting because Ann Frank was almost near to being free before the war ended.

Radio 4 is my favourite station Cait, could not live without it. Thank you for the info on the book.

xx