Artist

Alexander Averin

Monday 17 March 2008

Quirks and Randoms


Before I start my homework task I felt drawn to post this poem, it seemed to fit the subject matter.


A Poem by Sylvia Plath



Mirror

I am silver and exact. I have no preconceptions.
Whatever I see I swallow immediately
Just as it is, unmisted by love or dislike.
I am not cruel, only truthful-
The eye of the little god, four cornered.
Most of the time I meditate on the opposite wall.
It is pink, with speckles. I have looked at it so long
I think it is a part of my heart. But it flickers.
Faces and darkness separate us over and over.
Now I am a lake. A woman bends over me,
Searching my reaches for what she really is.
Then she turns to those liars, the candles or the moon.
I see her back, and reflect it faithfully.
She rewards me with tears and an agitation of hands.
I am important to her. She comes and goes.
Each morning it is her face that replaces the darkness.
In me she has drowned a young girl, and in me an old woman
Rises toward her day after day, like a terrible fish.


Do you like this poem? I love it, so does my daughter whe actually introduced it to me.

Everyone sees a different meaning in it I think, how about you?


But, as ever, I digress, this is my homework for In The Mud.


Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.

Tag five others to do the same.


I have done this before but can’t remember what I wrote so here goes with some more quirks and randoms.

I asked M what was quirky about me and he said I was one Big Quirk. Perhaps that will give you a picture of me. I am a real eccentric, always have been.

I am unconventional. I love being different.

Until they get to know me people think I am a serene soul, quietly aloof and reserved. Under a cool and calm exterior I actually have a fierce Irish temper and a will of steel. I am quiet but I prefer thinking and listening to talking.

I have no ear lobes to speak of which worries me a little as I read somewhere it is linked with serious criminality, Definitely not good anyway. Anyone else out there similarly afflicted?

My dog and I can read each other’s minds.

I can read other people’s minds, sometimes this is not a good thing. Sometimes it is!

I always put my left sock on before the right, left arm in my coat before the right etc, you get the picture?…. Always dressed the children that way. Probably has a name nowadays, that, some kind of obsessive compulsive disorder.

I have survived serious illness twice (so far, God willing) and also two very near fatal accidents. There is a guardian angel looking after me.

I never give up.


If you are reading this and haven't done this before you are duly tagged. Go on, it's painless, you can do it!

9 comments:

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Interesting about the socks and coats . . . and the mind reading . . . so glad you have a guardian Angel.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Love that poem, although find it rather scary towards the end.
I'm always interested to read these random facts. I haven't heard there's anything wrong with not having ear lobes, only that ears continue to grow throughout your life so people with small ears have a long way to go. Can't imagine you having criminal tendencies.

Also pleased to hear you have a guardian angel.

Kim said...

Sylvia Plath is one of my favorites.

The left first thing, that is indeed a quirk. I never even thought about which one goes first before.

Sam Fox said...

Hmmm, I do that left thing too, think it has to do with driving on the left...maybe? So glad you have your angel keeping you safe!

DJ Kirkby said...

Loved reading these random facts about you. Made me want to meet you in RL and that does not happen very often to me! The poem I found clever enough to make me sick with envy but the content is also incredibly sad.

Tattieweasle said...

I have never knowingly read Sylvia Plath and yes I do like it.. . especilly as I see an older woman before me everyday whom I don't recognise sometimes....
PS. I don't know about reading my dogs'minds bit I know they read mine!

Pipany said...

Ahh I love today's song Cait; very beautiful. Enjoyed your homework and am fascinated by the mind reading - more on that please xx

Forgot to say I also enjoy reading Plath's poetry x

CAMILLA said...

I love that Poem Cait, Sylvia Plath's life ended sadly so tragically.

Eccentricity is a wonderful attribute, I believe it's what keeps us going and accepting life for the full beauty it is.

I am left handed, so always put socks and sleeves on left first too.

A guardian angel is looking after you Cait, keeping you safe for us.

I loved the song Cait.

Camilla.xx

Exmoorjane said...

Fantastic poem, I hadn't read that one before.
My mother has no ear lobes. Not sure if that is good or bad! But it makes it darn hard to wear earrings, she says.