Artist

Alexander Averin

Wednesday 20 February 2008

A Crimson Moon








Dear Diary,

Nothing in the world is meaningless. Suffering least of all.
Oscar Wilde.




Today’s blog is a short, boring one and something of a mish-mash, a bit like my head really.

February is my most ‘difficult’ month, the one I’d like to eliminate from the calendar altogether. The very cold temperatures start to get to me, the winter seems too long and there is often too little sunshine to lift my spirits. This month has been an exception though; it has been very cold indeed but the Sun has shown herself on many occasions.

But it’s still the month when colds and flu are in the air and I have at last succumbed. . I’ve caught a fluey head cold and unfortunately couldn’t go to work yesterday. Yes I love my job so I am not pleased to have a day away from it. Still the library is in good hands as dear C, the relief is there.

You know when it’s a bad virus infection because it always comes on so suddenly, it doesn’t creep up slowly and there may well be no sign at all of its arrival, save perhaps a feeling of being over-tired in the day or two before it breaks out. It can start with just a sneeze, a runny nose or a sore throat. You also know it’s an infection when you have no appetite, a temperature with its resultant aches and pains, shivering and hot and cold feelings. These viruses just have to be endured until their lifespan ends. I had the turning point last night, the sweats and the feeling of release that comes with fever proving that my immune system had fought a battle and won. This morning I feel so much better, though still very weak.



Time for Blessings methinks.

I couldn’t concentrate on much reading yesterday but I did dip into dear Sara Ban Breathnach’s books, they are always such a comfort. Also a few glossy country magazines that shall remain nameless, they also soothe with their beautiful photos. (I have saved every copy even though I no longer buy them). And the radio helps. But most of all my best blessings were aspirin and paracetamol (not together of course) and sleep when it finally would come. Mostly I was just dozing, tossing and turning.

Other Blessings?

Music of course. Talking of which….. apparently stroke victims recover quicker if they listen to at least two hours of music every day. That is very interesting. Would listening to music help in stroke prevention I wonder? I digress again.

I am listening to dear Johnny Walker this morning, my favourite DJ, he is sitting in for Terry Wogan this week. He always plays such good music, I admire his taste. I make a mental note to remind myself to listen to his Sunday early evening show on Radio 2.

The View from my Window. I don’t need television because there’s plenty to see going on outside, a real wildlife soap opera is being played out just for me. Amongst the bird population that is. There has been much romancing in the air in the branches of the two tall pine trees. And as in all species the whole world over, the male chases the female until she catches him! There have also been a few viewings of the bird boxes, that is always good to see. Three magpies feasting on the mixed corn that M has put out. Sammy Squirrel is also about, feasting on the nuts as usual. A fox makes his way across the field, blissfully unaware that he is being watched.



It is bitterly, bitterly cold again although the weather forecast says today will be the last cold day for a while, a spell of milder, wetter and windier weather is on its way.

Hooray is all I can say and thank God for hot toddies.


My last blessing will be Finn our lurcher. When I am poorly he curls up on his pillows on the floor beside my bed sending his healing rays up to me (he likes nothing better). And I mustn’t forget M of course, he is an excellent nurse and healer himself.

I’ve still not got much of an appetite but I’m off now for a hot shower. Then I will change the sweaty bed linen and return to bed. I will break my fast with an orange, a banana and some tinned peaches. Aren’t the oranges juicy this time of year?

There were two coincidences today - you may be interested in such things. I have started drawing an angel card each day and today’s (Reward Yourself) told me to be kind to myself, maybe take a day off work and reward myself. My astrology reading by Russell Grant said the same thing Reward myself, be kind to myself etc.

Then I heard on the radio about the excessive number of accidents happening today and I idly wondered if it was a Full Moon. I had no idea but checked my very own moon calendar on this page and lo and behold it is a Full Moon!

And no ordinary Full Moon either.

I’ve just checked my other favourite astrologist, Jonathan Cainer and he has this lunar information.

A glorious lunar eclipse will be visible tonight. It lasts for several hours from 'first bite' to last clearance. The Moon will turn crimson and some think, at totality, it should appear briefly turquoise. It's visible in the UK from around 1am - 5am. If you're not staying up all night, set your alarm for 3am and take a brief look. Assuming the cloud cover is not too thick it will prove well worth interrupting your sleep for. It is, of course, on view much earlier in the USA - and it happens a little later across continental Europe. When you see it, make three wishes... one for your own wisdom and growth.. one for the wellbeing of a loved one.. and one for the world!

I hope you haven’t been too bored with my mish-mash and I hope you remain virus-free.

Bye for now,
Go mbeannai Dia duit,
Caitx

PS Just before I depart here is a poem sent to me from a cousin in Canada. I read it and it stopped me feeling sorry for myself.

Crabby Old Man

What do you see nurses? ......What do you see?
What are you thinking......when you're looking at me?
A crabby old man, ...not very wise,
Uncertain of habit ........with faraway eyes?

Who dribbles his food.......and makes no reply.
When you say in a loud voice.....'I do wish you'd try!'
Who seems not to notice ...the things that you do.
And forever is losing ............. A sock or shoe?

Who, resisting or not...........lets you do as you will,
With bathing and feeding ...... The long day to fill?
Is that what you're thinking? Is that what you see?
Then open your eyes, nurse..you're not looking at me.

I'll tell you who I am ........ As I sit here so still,
As I do at your bidding, .....as I eat at your will.
I'm a small child of Ten.......with a father and mother,
Brothers and sisters ..........who love one another

A young boy of Sixteen ..with wings on his feet
Dreaming that soon now. ..........a lover he'll meet.
A groom soon at Twenty .........my heart gives a leap.
Remembering, the vows........that I promised to keep.

At Twenty-Five, now ......... I have young of my own.
Who need me to guide . And a secure happy home.
A man of Forty ......... My young now grown fast,
Bound to each other ....... With ties that should last.

At Fifty, my young sons ...have grown and are gone,
But my woman's beside me.......to see I don't mourn.
At Sixty, once more, ...... Babies play 'round my knee,
Again, we know children ......... My loved one and me.

Later in life dark days are upon me .......

My wife is now dead.
I look at the future ...........I shudder with dread.
For my young are all rearing ...young of their own.
And I think of the years...... And the love that I've known.

I'm now an old man.........and nature is cruel.
Tis jest to make old age .......look like a fool.
The body it crumbles..........grace and vigor depart.
There is now a stone........where I once had a heart.

But inside this old carcass ..... A young guy still dwells,
And now and again ........my battered heart swells.
I remember the joys.............. I remember the pain.
And I'm loving and living.............life over again.

I think of the years ...all too few......gone too fast.
And accept the stark fact........that nothing can last.
So open your eyes, people ..........open and see..
Not a crabby old man. Look closer and see........ME!!

Remember this poem when you next meet an older person who you might brush aside without looking at the young soul within. We will all, one day, be there, too!

PLEASE SHARE THIS POEM
The best and most beautiful things of this world can't be seen or touched.

They must be felt by the heart.

18 comments:

Kim said...

Poor Cait. I am glad you're at least feeling a bit better today. I am a bit under the weather as well. The only thing that helps me is lots of sleep and nice hot drinks.

I took the dogs out late last night before I put them to bed. I'd fallen asleep in my chair, so it was much later than usual, around midnight. I looked up and between the clouds saw the luminous beauty of a full moon.

I don't know why, but it made me feel better.

Inthemud said...

Hello Cait, so sorry to hear you're feeling unwell, do hope you'll be better soon.

I've got tears in my eyes from reading that poem, it is so sad, but also so true of how we think about the elderly. I will copy it down if that ok.

Feb is a starnge month, but i must say I dislike january more, once Feb is here it does seem to get lighter and brighter.

I know what you mean about Jonny Walker, so good to hear him in the am for a while, i miss him doing the evening slot that Chris Evans does now.

Anyway, do hope you feel much better today.
Love Elaine XX

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Hi Cait - you poor thing a fluey/cold bug is horrible - I am amazed that hou managed such a blog feeling the way you do.

Now tuck your vest in, don't overdo it, and look after yourself.

It is going to be mild for the weekend by the looks of it . . .

Frances said...

Hello to my fellow cougher!
How funny that we should both blog on being sidelined.

The picture of the moon is spectacular. I am sorry not to have felt well enough to go outside to watch the eclipse. I have seen some in the past, and even with all the city lights competing, the moon really does put on a show.

The poem is sublime.

Feel better soon, Cait.
xo

Elizabethd said...

Hope you feel much better soon Cait.
Your blogs are never boring, even though you feel that your head might be!

Hannah Velten said...

I'll set my alarm clock - thanks for the suggestion. By the way, what are angel cards? They sound intriguing. Hope you feel chipper again soon and March is on the way - cheery thoughts! mootia x

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

What an extraordinary picture of the moon, cait. loved it. Hope you are feeling a bit better now. I am another February hater but this one is almost gone now and spring is just around the corner!

Pipany said...

Poor you, though plenty to think about in your blog Cait - maybe there is a point to Isabella being up at 4.30 after all! Love the picture of the hot toddy, one of my favourite drinks, and also love the poem. Take care xx

Chris Stovell said...

Never boring! I'm sorry to hear you've been unwell, these winter viruses are horrid. Glad you are looking after yourself - and being looked after.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous blog........as always; get better soon!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that reads like get a better blog soon, sorry hon, meant hope you get better from that cold!!!

Blossomcottage said...

I hope today you feel a bit more chipper, it will soon be March and we will all be heading towards to spring and summer and then things will be much better.
We had the most stunning sunset here the other evening, i have seen some beautiful sunsets from my studio but none better than this one, would go well with your moon.
As always lovely poem.
Lots of Love
Blossom

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Lovely as ever, thoughtful Cait. I knew it was going to be a lunar eclipse last night, tho I didn't wait up to see it. Hope you're feeling better soon.

xx

DJ Kirkby said...

Poor you, glad to read you are now on the mend. I haven't caught this flu yet and hope to escape it alltogether! That poem brough tears to my eyes, I love it so and will post it one Sunday, thank you.

DJ Kirkby said...

P.S. Please Cait, can you tell me who is the author of this poem?

DJ Kirkby said...

Hello again Cait. I have tagged you.

daringtowrite said...

Wish you well. Love the moon image! And what a treat to hear Melanie again! I don't think I've heard her for years and she used to be one of my favourites. Thanks.

CAMILLA said...

My apologies for coming here late Cait, trying to catch up.

So pleased that you are now feeling much better from the nasty cold.

January and February I am not to keen on, can't wait for the spring sunshine, and to see blossom on tree's and flowers bursting open.

I am not a TV lover, hardly watch at all, but do love music, and agree it can be very theraputic. I know of patients who would agree with that also.

Lovely Poems Cait as always, and wonderful pictures.

Camilla.xx